.

easy fabric baskets

If you like super quick sewing projects, this post is for you.  These little baskets take only about 20 minutes to make.

I started with the Tidy Tray tutorial at The Sewing Republic, which is a very simple project.  You basically sew a square and then sew the corners together to create a little basket.  I didn't change much, but did take a few shortcuts.   First, I substituted fusible fleece interfacing so I wouldn't have to pin much.  Also, I didn't mark full lines on the fabric and eliminated the stitching on the bottom of the basket.  I just marked little dots equal distances in from each corner, and then folded the square on the diagonal to make the dots meet up.  Sew a straight seam perpendicular to the finished edge, and you're done!

Then I experimented with making larger baskets with deeper sides.  I didn't like how much the corners stuck out, so I folded them in onto the sides and then stitched them down.

The original squares on these two nesting boxes were 12.5 inches and 8.5 inches.  I marked each corner at 2.5 inches before sewing and folding.  I think they are cute - like little folded fabric boxes.  So simple, and seriously quick.  They are perfect as a little catch-all to hold spare change, jewelry, or whatever else you need to keep contained!