.

let them eat cake

Sometimes I make cakes ... usually just for family, and every once in a while for friends.  It is fun to take a break from the sewing machine occasionally.  :)  So here are some of the unblogged cakes of the last year or two:


This mermaid cake was for a friend's party last month.  The scary part about making your own cakes is seeing how much sugar goes into them.  I make all of my own frosting and fondant, and between the outer fondant and buttercream frosting underneath, this cake contains four pounds of powdered sugar.  yowza.

My friend, Sonja, made the super adorable mermaid toppers.



Oscar requested an Iron Man cake for his 4th birthday, which was funny because he really didn't know who Iron Man was at the time.  He was delighted, nonetheless.


I really like doing cakes in the shape of letters and numbers.  The actual cake carving and assembly can be easy, but frosting them can be a real pain if the are stacked high and thin.  I gave up on this number 7 cake and covered it entirely in sprinkles to hide the mess underneath.  But it turned out looking pretty festive anyway.


Last year, Sonja's daughter was having a Halloween birthday party, but wanted a Hello Kitty cake.  We added some vampire fangs and called it good (this was one of my favorites).



Practice makes perfect(ish).  The first time I attempted a ruffle cake for Ruby's birthday, it was way too hot outside (and thus inside, since air conditioning in Santa Barbara is rare), so the icing was sad and droopy (not that she cared).  With a little more practice, and better weather conditions, I made a much nicer ruffle cake for Lilly's cowgirl party.


Oscar's soccer team, the Green Dragons, needed a cake for their end-of-season party.  Oscar helped me add the decorations on this one, which was a lot of fun.


And most recently, I made another cake for Sonja's daughter's monster birthday party.  The monster's "fur" is made using a grass tip, which is very easy, but a bit time intense.  It had by far the coolest texture of any cake I've ever decorated!  I need to get my hands on more party photos to share with you for this one, because it was a really great party.