.

one gigantic Fall 2013 KCW post

Hey ya'll.  I'm back again with a KCW report, and then I'll make myself scarce again for a while.

Behold, my Kids Clothes Week spoils:


If you aren't familiar with Kids Clothes Week, it is a challenge to commit to sewing for your kids for at least one hour a day for a week.  You aren't technically supposed to turn yourself into a one-woman sweatshop like I sometimes do.  I just get caught up in the sewing fever and can't help myself!  :)

Obviously, I spent a lot more than one hour a day sewing.  My house is a wreck and I think I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night.  But my kids have some great wardrobe basics for fall and "winter" (we don't really do winter here in Santa Barbara), and hopefully they will be warm enough for our holiday travelling.


One way I was able to make so many pieces was to make multiples using the same pattern.  I especially love the Recess Raglan Tee for boys (I think Oscar has like 6 of them), but it is really cute for girls, too.  Hooray for unisex patterns!

If you follow me on instagram (homemadebyjill), you saw that I carved a fox and deer stamp to make my own printed fabric. I used animal images from the Silhouette online store, and a Speedball carving block.  I love how the fox shirt came out, and can't wait to print some deer fabric.  The shorts in the photo below were made with MADE's Kid Shorts pattern, earlier in the fall.


I have been using the Lil Leggings pattern by Lil Blue Boo for years, and I like the no-fuss knit waistband.  I usually add a bunch of length to the pattern because I like a full length legging, instead of capri.



Figgy's Banyan Tee is one of my favorite patterns for boys and girls.  The handkerchief hem is ridiculously cute on the girls pattern, and I just like the overall fit for both.  I altered the pattern a bit to make the cat sweatshirt, and used gold pleather for the details.




You couldn't read about KCW last week without hearing about the Bimaa Sweater, so here is my version of the cowl view.  Pretty sure I sewed that cowl on upside down like a moron, but it still looks cute.  Must get it right the next time (sleeping might help).


I'm kind of dying over this little jacket, The Coco Topcoat pattern from the CaliFaye Collection.  It isn't actually done ... need to finish the sleeves, topstitch, and add buttons ... but it is too cute not to share.  This is for Cora, and she looks so delicious in yellow with her blonde ringlets, I just might die when she puts it on.


Ok, the jeans.  JEANS!  Sorry, still feeling ridiculously proud of these.  I used the Skinny Jean pattern from Peekaboo Pattern Shop, and I can't say enough good things about this pattern.  I was feeling all intimidated, but it was really easy and came together looking so pro!  I like that the fit is a slim jean without being super skinny jeggings, which works really well on Ruby.  I got the stretch denim from the Michael Levine Loft in LA for like two bucks, so these jeans are a bargain, too.  This is a pattern I will be repeating (already have a pair cut for Oscar in khaki).


Made by Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee was thrown into heavy rotation.  I used it for the girl's mermaid Halloween costumes, made a three quarter sleeve top for each of the girls, and used it to draft twinners knit dresses for them as well.  Late into the week, Ruby pulled out this funky floral corduroy that she picked out at JoAnn's, so they became a pair of Parsley crazy pants.


Mermaids!  My friend Sonja and I picked up the sequin fabric on a LA garment district run early in the year and have been talking up the mermaid Halloween costume to our girls ever since.  We made two pink and two blue mermaids this week, and if I can keep it together for another two days, they will hopefully get some mermaid headpieces for the big night.  Because how cute would it be if Cora had a little octopus perched on her headband?  Really cute, I tell you.

The skirt is a really simple tube skirt with a knit waistband, knit lining, and chiffon ruffle.  Nothing fancy about the construction, but those sequins will take you a long way.


In other news, these girlies are kind of precious in twin outfits.  Hasn't happened since Easter, 2012.


Phew, still with me?  Obviously, Ruby was the big winner this week, but there was a little bit for everyone. Oscar was the recient of a lot of un-blogged back-to-school sewing in September, and Cora has more hand-me-downs than a girl could ever wear, so they are all set.


I'm really grateful for KCW because it lights a fire under my sewing machine and makes me plow through my unhealthy fabric stash a bit (which is still overflowing, despite taking a bit of a hit last week).  Fabrics for these projects came from Girl Charlee, Fabric.com, upcycled clothes, and random stash.

Hope you all have a Happy Halloween!  xoxo