.

halloween bones

I thought I'd have a few more years of picking Oscar's Halloween costume (last year he was a blue bird), but it is hard to resist his heart's true desire.  This kid LOVES bones.  He is going nuts for all of the skeleton decorations around town.  Except they are not skeletons ... they are "Halloween Bones."

When I showed him the completed costume yesterday, he said, "Cute!  Wear it!" and has wanted to wear it every minute since.

It makes him jump for joy.

The costume is a cross between this toddler skeleton costume from Craft Passion and my friend Chelsea's Pottery Barn knock-off skeleton costume.  I loved bits of both.  I used white fleece for my bones.  I thought it would hold up to repeated washing better than felt.

I also made him a little skull-cap hat using this pattern from Leila and Ben.
 


We had a little playgroup Halloween party this morning, and Oscar looked really cute in his costume.

Speaking of cute:

Ruby is a doll-face.  I mean, I know I'm her mom, and that means I think she's gorgeous by default ... but am I wrong?  So cute.  She was a chubby teddy bear today since I haven't finished her real costume.


Hooray for Halloween!  I inherited my love for Halloween from my mom - her dad's birthday was October 31 (and he had a major sweet tooth), so naturally it was a big holiday for her family.  She always made it a special day for us growing up with playfully spooky decorations, yummy treats, and fantastic homemade costumes.  I'm so glad I now get to pass on the Halloween love to my kids.