.

comfy dress up: yoda costume

Another item off my kcwc to-do list - I finished Ruby's Halloween costume last night (huzzah!).


My kids started their Star Wars obsession at a young age.  One of Ruby's very favorite books to read at bedtime is "Star Wars: A Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy."   For the last several months, Ruby has been telling anyone who will listen that she is going to be Yoda for trick or treat.


Between her perfect little size and funny little voice, she is going to make a practically perfect Yoda.


The costume consists of four easy to wear pieces: a knit shirt and pant, cozy robe, and a yoda hat.


Robe: Go To Pattern's Signature Dress pattern, with hood and maxi length options.  I belled out the sleeves to get a looser cut, and cut the front robe pieces, cut the two front pattern pieces separately (not on the fold), adding about an inch and a half to the edge for hemming and a looser fit.  For the fabric, I bought a cheap minky throw blanket from Ross ($6.99) and used the hemmed edges whenever possible.

Top:  Oliver + S Hopscotch top (I think this pattern is now out of print) in a brown jersey knit.  I used fold-over-elastic to bind the neck and sleeves, and added a little cuff to the sleeves.

Pants: Big Butt Baby Pants in the same brown jersey knit, purchased at fabric.com.  I really like the Laguna Stretch Cotton Jersey.  It is a cotton/lycra blend with a nice weight, lots of stretch, and comes in many colors.  It was nice to work with).

Yoda Hat: Cozy Winter Hood pattern from the book, Oliver + S, Little Things to Sew.  I drafted my own ear and had to hand stitch them on since they are off to the side of the head instead of in the top seams.  I wish I had folded the tops of the ears over a little to make them more Yoda-like, but I think the idea gets across. The outside is a minky fleece and I used a satin stitch to make yoda's head wrinkles.


 
The force is strong with this one.