.

comfy dress up: Transformers Halloween Costume

Oscar loves the show, Transformers: Rescue Bots, and had his heart set on being Chase (the police car transformer) for Halloween.  It sounded like a great costume to buy, but I couldn't find this specific character anywhere (though after I bought the supplies, a friend told me she spotted one at Target).

 


I've seen some pretty amazing DIY Transformers costumes online ... from the incredibly detailed, to the ones that actually transform (what?!).   I just wanted it to be comfortable enough that he can use it all year for everyday dress up play.   It was a challenge to sew, but we are both really happy with it!

And while I spent way too much time making this costume, I know Oscar loves it.  Which is totally the point.

Patterns used:
Top - started with Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee and built from there.  It is cut up the back and has a velcro flap to close, which makes it really easy to get on and off.

Leggings: Lil Leggings pattern by Lil Blue Boo, lengthened and knee pads added (one, very crooked. oh, well).  Oscar loves these and wants to wear them all the time.

Hat:  Based off of Leila & Ben's Little Cap pattern, with some additions.

Boots: drafted by me! I was so glad these turned out.  They are actually shoe covers, so the velcro closed in the back and have a wide strip of elastic on the bottom to keep them in place on his sneakers.

The whole costume is made of jersey knit, using 1" and 2" foam for the structure.  I used Silhouette Flocked Heat Transfer material for the Transformers logo and the grills on the boots.


I sure love Halloween.  Hope your kids have a safe and happy one!

Missed the other costumes for this year?