.

Dresser makeover

Over Labor Day weekend I got to work on my nursery by doing a dresser makeover. I started out with a dresser I picked up for free off Craiglist. I love Craigslist, but this sad sack of a dresser was not much to look at (you can't expect much when it's free):


With a little tender loving care and only $15.00 in supplies, here she is now:

This is a really easy project. First, you need a piece of furniture, whether it comes from your own home, thrift store, Craigslist, etc. This dresser is not especially high quality (I would have loved for it to have been hardwood), but the drawers are roomy and slide in and out easily and it is still sturdy.

Here are the other supplies you will need:

measuring tape
screw driver
paint brush
exact-o knife
decorative paper
Mod Podge (I used Matte-finish)
new hardware

1. After cleaning your piece of furniture well, remove the old hardware.

2. Measure your drawer fronts

3. Measure and cut your decorative paper to size. I used paper made by Snow and Graham (no. 1644), found at Kate's Paperie. It was on sale the day I bought it (bonus!) and I needed 3 sheets total. A high-quality wrapping paper with a nice print would also work well. This paper was just barely short of my drawer width (approx. 1 inch) so I had to piece it together.

4. Using a paint brush, apply a layer of Mod Podge to your drawer fronts. Lay the decorative paper down on the drawer front and smooth out any bubbles. Let dry completely.

5. Trim any excess paper that may overlap the drawer front using an exact-o knife.

6. Apply two additional coats of Mod Podge to the drawer fronts to seal (let each coat dry completely before re-applying). Be careful of your brush-strokes, since they will show. Avoid leaving any drips.

7. While your drawers are drying, take a break and head out to the new Brooklyn Ikea on the Water Taxi. Enjoy the scenery from the Waterfall Project. (I love NYC!)

I went specifically to get these drawer knobs, which I think are modern and cute, and only cost $1.99 for a package of 6. While I have a little love affair going on with Ikea, walking through that maze of a store wipes me out. Good think they have frozen yogurt next to checkout. :)

8. Attach your new hardware. Put the drawers back in the dresser.

9. Enjoy your new-to-you and significantly improved dresser!


P.S. I was recently featured on a great new blog called Little Birdie Secrets. Last week they had a baby week theme and showed my diaper cake and onesie cookies in Friday's post on baby shower ideas. Thanks, Little Birdie Secrets! Check out the earlier baby week posts for some fun craft projects, including binkie clips, cute baby hangers and a nursing cover.