.

comfy dress-up: snow white dress

My little girl loves Snow White.  As far as princesses go, she's never been my favorite, but how do you tell that to a two-year-old who spends half the day singing "I'm Wishing" to herself?


Instead, I whipped up a comfortable jersey dress up outfit.   Using the Signature Dress from Go To Patterns as my guide, I color-blocked the main pattern piece and choose the maxi length, cap sleeve, and shirred waist options.  For the striped sleeves, I simply cut five 3/4 inch strips of red jersey per sleeve, laid them equidistant apart, and zig zag stitched along each side.  Repeat the same with a thinner strip for the yellow stripe down the front of the bodice.

I also prefer to sew a line of elastic thread along the front and back edge of the neckline to gather it up.  On a lightweight jersey, it gathers nicely, but remains very stretchy through the head opening.


Since I'm not a Snow White die-hard, I took a few liberties with the dress design, including leaving off that big, white collar.  It just didn't seem practical for comfortable play wear.  Down the road, I might make a red cape to go with the dress, and maybe we'll add the signature collar there.

This is Ruby's favorite book to read at Grandma's house:


I love it, too, because it has really sweet vintage illustrations.  Who knew Snow White looked so good in pink?  

This weekend we did a little reenactment.  After skipping over that unpleasant bit at the beginning of the story, Snow White found herself out in the woods, feeling lonely and afraid.  At least the oranges were in season!


She came upon a tiny cottage that was just her size.


But boy, was it messy!  Snow White and her woodland friends quickly got to work, doing the dishes and sweeping the cobwebs.   After all that hard work, she rewarded herself with a nice, long nap.


She woke up feeling refreshed and happy.


A wicked witch stopped by and offered her a wishing apple, but she said, "I no eat this.  It's poison!"


 Instead she made her own wishes come true by working hard and going to college.


That's how it goes, right?